Resiliency and Owning Our Stories
11/4, 11/11, 11/25
Dr. Brené Brown asked herself, “What do people with strong and loving relationships, or leaders nurting creativity, or artists pushing innovation, or clergy walking with people through faith and mystery have in common?
Based on her decades of grounded theory research, the answer was clear: They recognize the power of emotion and they’re not afraid to lean in to discomfort. Regardless of the magnitude or circumstances of our struggle, the rising strong process is the same: we reckon with our emotions and get curious about what we’re feeling; we rumble with our stories until we get to a place of truth; and we live this process, every day, until it becomes a practice and creates nothing short of a revolution in our lives. Rising strong after a call is how we cultivate wholeheartedness.
What does it mean to live wholeheartedly?
10 Guideposts for Wholehearted Living
As defined by Dr Brene Brown in her book “The Gifts of Imperfection”
Letting go of…
What people think
Numbing & Powerlessness
Scarcity & Fear of the Dark
Need for Certainty
Exhaustion as a Status Symbol & Productivity as Self-worth
Anxiety as a Lifestyle
Being Cool and “Always in Control”
Laughter, Song, and Dance
About your Trainers
Julia Oh Park, LMFT, CDWF
As a leadership coach, the topic of Rising Strong™ for Men has been on my heart for quite sometime and I am excited to partner with courageous men willing to roll up their sleeves and do the inner work through this program. I have recognized a trend overtime that men often do not share their feelings or create a vehicle to safely wrestle with past failures and feelings around those past events that create a shadow in their current lives.
Combining my expertise as a Certified Daring Way Facilitator (CDWF) and my experiences as a leadership trainer and coach, I have carefully crafted the Rising Strong™ for Men curriculum to unearth very important elements of wholehearted living and leading. This can only be accomplished when a leader is willing to first wrestle with their vulnerabilities in life.
The Rising Strong™ for Men is a 3-week training of dedicated support, safety, empowering, and space to do the important inner work so that we can once and for all reset and transform the way we live, love, parent and lead.
The Rising Strong Pathway
‘‘When you deny the story, it owns you. When you own the story, you get to write the ending.’
– Dr Brené Brown
Some of the topics we’ll explore:
- How understanding your value will help you light your way forward in the dark. What behaviors do you have which support and protect your values and what behaviors serve as red flags that you’ve walked away from your own light.
- How to own our own stories we make up around our struggle, challenge our assumptions of what is true and re-write our endings.
- How to cultivate curiosity around our emotions, where they stem from and what gets us emotionally hooked.
- The unproductive ways we “manage” or discharge emotion when we are trying to avoid feeling it, also known as “offloading hurt”.
- Understanding vulnerability — the myths you believe about it and where you picked them up.
- Rumbling with shame – the intensely painful feeling or experience of believing that what we are flawed and therefore unworthy of love and belonging.
Working through feelings of loss and longing.
- Understanding how you manage anxiety – whether you are over-functioning or under-functioning.